Everyone living in a dwelling has had, at one point or another in life, to do with plumbing works. the wide variety of works involved in plumbing makes it almost impossible to create a list of what a plumber actually does.
Some of the works involved, probably some of the most common ones, are:
- - Cold and hot water supply to bathrooms, en-suites and kitchens
- - Central heating systems
- - Gas and oil supply systems
- - Above ground drainage systems.
Put simple, people need water and heating, so wherever there are people there is a need for plumbers.
One of the most important jobs of the plumbers is to install those systems (water and gas or oil heating), however their job does not end here. After installation, the maintenance and the service of the installations takes a lot of time on plumbers.
However one thing is true: there is always a shortage of good, qualified plumbers!
What does a plumber do?
A good plumber needs to be able to do the following activities:
- - Attend promptly an appointment
- - Work out what needs doing, fixing or repairing
- - Plan out the job required
- - Be able to follow plans and drawings
- - Understand technical instructions
- - Order materials from suppliers
- - Fix baths, sinks, radiators, etc. to walls, in floors or ducts
- - Accurately measure distances to work out the lengths of piping needed
- - Cut and bend piping to correct dimensions
- - Join piping so that it doesn’t leak
- - Work as part of a team with joiners, bricklayers, electricians, etc
- - Ensure the system is tested before leaving the work place, so to ensure all works properly and no leaks occur.
As one can see, a plumber needs to know his job but also needs to have other skills, such as literacy and numeracy as well as good social skills.
The “How To” Guide on Plumbing Works
Nevertheless, plumbing works are not always as difficult as they seem. Before calling a plumber, sometimes a little advice can help avoiding unnecessary costs.
At Force 10 Building Solutions we believe that information sharing is power, therefore if we can help people sorting their maintenance issues at no cost we do our best to do just that!
Therefore we have decided to take a structured approach to put a guide to help people sort out small plumbing works themselves so to save money.
We truly believe that everyone can be a plumber for small jobs – so if you think you need a plumber to help you, why not read these articles to see if you can help yourself first.
Plumber in Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley, Sheffield and beyond
Force 10 Building Solutions has offices in Doncaster and Sheffield and covers not only the larger towns, such as Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley, Sheffield but the whole of South, West and East Riding of Yorkshire.
Back to News